Perth - Is it really that bad?

Progressive

Been offered a really good job in Perth on a 457 visa. The money and package doesn't matter too much as I am very comfortable with it. On doing some further research now it's looking likely I have started to come across articles, forum posts and rants regarding Perth.

These include:

- It's the most boring city in the world!

- Don't go to [insert area here]. It's rough, you'll get stabbed or robbed.

- It's full of undesirables.

- The CBD and surrounding areas are awful after 9.00pm (where I'll be working and maybe living).

As a young lad growing up in not the best of UK towns I could deal with this and to be honest take it with a pinch of salt. However, I'm looking to take my better half and 'live the dream' (cringe). We both know it will only be for a couple of years but these comments have put me off.

We're not massive party animals. Our objectives are simply to work hard, lead a better lifestyle, further our careers and see more of the world. We are already both fairly well travelled and open minded.

Could anyone who has lived it settle my mind?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest31881

Hi,

Like all areas you will find good and bad areas, we have a lot of members who love living in Perth and would not live anywhere else. I am sure some will be on here to tell you how great it is there.

We also have a sister site for Perth and WA http://www.perthpoms.com/ if you take a look at that site you should get all the answers you need,

Hi progressive

Take the plunge and go for the job.

I lived in Perth in 2004/2005 with all the bad press but absolutely loved it. There are hundreds of suburbs with a minor few that expect trouble. I didn't see any trouble as I don't in London.

There are pubs, clubs and fantastic cheap restaurants. Some people expect to go there and have a holiday lifestyle but be under no illusion that you still have to work. I have a young family now and plan to move back at the end of this year.

Be brave, you'll love. Especially the outdoors lifestyle

Hi Progressive, I'm in Queensland now but I moved here a couple of years ago after living in Perth for 17 years.

Personally, I like Perth, but then I'm not one for "entertainment" and nightlife. (I am an old fart) If you like wide open spaces, gorgeous beaches, great places to visit (National Parks etc) then you will love it.

Yes some people find it boring but it depends on how you define boring.

As for crime, yes there is a fair bit in certain areas, you get to know where the hotspots are. We never had any problem (I think my car got broken into once -- they took the users manual and dropped $5 in the footwell in the process!!) and my recycling bin set on fire in all the time I lived there.

As Srp says, there are good and bad areas everywhere you go. Please don't be put off, it's a great place to live, not everyone's taste , but you can say the same for anywhere.

Hi progressive

Take the plunge and go for the job.

I lived in Perth in 2004/2005 with all the bad press but absolutely loved it. There are hundreds of suburbs with a minor few that expect trouble. I didn't see any trouble as I don't in London.

There are pubs, clubs and fantastic cheap restaurants. Some people expect to go there and have a holiday lifestyle but be under no illusion that you still have to work. I have a young family now and plan to move back at the end of this year.

Be brave, you'll love. Especially the outdoors lifestyle

There are no fantastic cheap restaurants in Perth these days. In fact they by and large are rather diabolical I speak as someone that used to eat out perhaps twice a week for many years up to around 07.When prices where reasonable we could overlook the sometime questionable quality. Perth is now something like the 12 th most expensive city in the world.

One thing is certain few bargains in anything these days. They say you shouldn't look back...but it is hard not to at times.

Guest guest17301

Yes its a total $&^%hole, don't come!!

(or just search for positive perth posts to put your mind at rest........PIO is worse than the Mail for misleading propaganda.......)

I am always slightly amused by people who say this place or that place is boring - regardless of where it is in the world.

Perhaps the comments say more about the person making them than they do about the place, or perhaps some people sit back and wait to be entertained and when this doesn't happen they have no idea what to do themselves.

Been offered a really good job in Perth on a 457 visa. The money and package doesn't matter too much as I am very comfortable with it. On doing some further research now it's looking likely I have started to come across articles, forum posts and rants regarding Perth.

These include:

- It's the most boring city in the world!

- Don't go to [insert area here]. It's rough, you'll get stabbed or robbed.

- It's full of undesirables.

- The CBD and surrounding areas are awful after 9.00pm (where I'll be working and maybe living).

As a young lad growing up in not the best of UK towns I could deal with this and to be honest take it with a pinch of salt. However, I'm looking to take my better half and 'live the dream' (cringe). We both know it will only be for a couple of years but these comments have put me off.

We're not massive party animals. Our objectives are simply to work hard, lead a better lifestyle, further our careers and see more of the world. We are already both fairly well travelled and open minded.

Could anyone who has lived it settle my mind?

Perhaps in your case my main concern would be if Perth will meet your social requirements. Considering most folk only go out on weekends while the working week is early to bed for most.

Perth is not quite as exciting as you seem to suggest.

There are issues to be sure but a lot is alcohol related violence. Perth being the capital of a major resource producing state, has a lot of single,bored men on respite.In my view this perhaps add in part to some of the aggro.

Some care should be taken at night around train stations. The city has improved in recent times with more folk on the streets than in the past when the city could almost be deserted. Some care around certain minority groups would be prudent as well.

I am always slightly amused by people who say this place or that place is boring - regardless of where it is in the world.

Perhaps the comments say more about the person making them than they do about the place, or perhaps some people sit back and wait to be entertained and when this doesn't happen they have no idea what to do themselves.

As the poster appears to be in his words,'A party animal', Perth may well have not a lot on offer. Nothing to do with entertaining oneself, for a person coming from certain cities they would certainly find Perth at this point in time, limited in appeal.

Guest guest17301

The OP said he wasnt a massive party animal? Even if he was I just dont get why people see Perth as this place with nowhere to party??? Theres loads of pubs/clubs and bars in the CBD!!! More in Freo/Joondalup and others in other suburbs

As the poster appears to be in his words,'A party animal', Perth may well have not a lot on offer. Nothing to do with entertaining oneself, for a person coming from certain cities they would certainly find Perth at this point in time, limited in appeal.

The OP said they are not massive party animals.

The OP said he wasnt a massive party animal? Even if he was I just dont get why people see Perth as this place with nowhere to party??? Theres loads of pubs/clubs and bars in the CBD!!! More in Freo/Joondalup and others in other suburbs

Perhaps you should discuss this with younger folk that have been around the block a bit. From the horses mouth if you like.

I am always slightly amused by people who say this place or that place is boring - regardless of where it is in the world. .

Agreed, same goes for any generalisation about the "character" of any particular city. Any sort of post that says place x is boring, arrogant, unfriendly, etc etc etc......

You see plenty of it on here about Sydney fwiw. And Canberra

Guest guest17301
Perhaps you should discuss this with younger folk that have been around the block a bit. From the horses mouth if you like.

Cheeky bugger....are you insinuating I am past it??? Im very young!!! (and i know how to party....and its got little to do with the place and more to do with the people!)

Our 22 yo nephew was a massive party animal when he moved to Perth and we all assumed he would find it boring. But he loves it here. He likes going out in Joondalup and Northbridge when he wants to but, more importantly than that, he has heaps of new hobbies over here, stuff that we never thought he'd do. He goes off-roading, fishing, scuba diving, camping, climbing, water-skiing and tons of other stuff. He is never here at a weekend.

He says there was nothing for him to do in the UK besides go on the ale. Different folks, different strokes but it's what you make it. He's taken to it like a duck to water.

He says there was nothing for him to do in the UK besides go on the ale.

That's cobblers though, isn't it? He may have got himself in a rut where that's all he did but there's bags of opportunity to do otherwise

Good on him for changing his life with a change of scenery though

:-)

pffft

Most outdoors stuff and many sports are well cheap to get involved with wherever you are. Costs very little to join a club for football, rugby, running, cricket etc; You can get a usable pushbike and gear for 500 quid, which is obviously a bit of money but it lasts for ages. Walking/scrambling stuff doesn't cost the earth and there are tons of clubs again. Camping is cheap everywhere

Like I said though, it's great he's changed his life

Yes but all those things are much better when its not continually pishing down and you have to wear 2 duffle coats to even go outside.

The things that I mentioned that he does, he can't do them local in the UK, and he can't do them in a climate that lends itself to drinking horlicks whilst watching snooker.

I'm not really arsed either way, its his take on things, not mine.

Guest pipey

Perth is crap, in my honest opinion, there are many very great places to live in Australia, but Perth aint one of them. The prices you pay for the mediocre crap you get living there are criminal.

Its populated with lazy rude zombies....

And Freo, wow, what can I say about Freo except that it helps to not wash or wear shoes if you wanna look like a local....

only one mans opinion though.....

And put very forceably .Lol. .. I see you're a relatively new member to PIO, so welcome. My apologies as I haven't yet read your other posts but where did you live in WA? Have you moved on to another part of Aus or did you return to the UK It always makes me smile how Perth more than any other city gets such polarised views - you either love it or hate it and I have to say that my experience of living here doesn't match the one you describe (but that doesn't make either of us wrong).

Perth is crap, in my honest opinion, there are many very great places to live in Australia, but Perth aint one of them. The prices you pay for the mediocre crap you get living there are criminal.

Its populated with lazy rude zombies....

And Freo, wow, what can I say about Freo except that it helps to not wash or wear shoes if you wanna look like a local....

Could you explain? Is that in relation to Perth or to all of Australia?

Guest pipey

actually, I have been using poms in oz for years as an information reesource for immigration. only recently felt like posting.

I live in Australia, and love it, immigrating, and wouldnt change it for the world.

But Perth for me is purgatory.

Give me the beauty and vibrant city of Brisbane any day!

And no its in relation to Perth i was talking, as I stated.

Nowhere else in Australia do you pay so much to have so little, and dont use the old wages are higher excuse, cause actually you can make the same kind of money in Queensland now, without all the rip offs....

The OP asked, and Im throwing in my two cents

:biggrin:

Archived